Whats in your cotton?
- Conventional cotton occupies less than 3 percent of the world’s farmland, but uses 25 percent of the world’s insecticides and more than 10% of the pesticides used in the world.
- 7 of the top 15 pesticides used on conventionally grown cotton have been labeled by EPA as “potential” or “known” human carcinogens, and are also thought to cause, among other health risks, birth defects and nervous system disorders. Repeated washing does not guarantee that these chemicals will go away.
- Over a third of a pound of pesticides are used to produce the average cotton t-shirt.
How does it impact?
- Use of chemical pesticides and fertilizers adversely affect the people and our planet’s ecosystem by impacting the soil, water and air.
- The cottonseed hull, where many pesticide residues have been detected, is a secondary crop sold as a food commodity. It is estimated that as much as 65% of cotton production ends up in our food chain. Example – cottonseed oil is used in processed foods whereas cattles are fed cottonseed and field trash.
- Many processing stages result in large amounts of toxic wastewater that carry away residues from chemical cleaning, dyeing, and finishing. This waste depletes the oxygen out of the water, killing aquatic animals and disrupting aquatic ecosystem.
What is Organic?
Organic cotton starts with organic farming practices, which use seeds that haven’t been genetically modified or treated with pesticides. Pest control is accomplished through the use of natural practices. From growth through harvest, the process is monitored according to a set of Organic Growing Standards adopted by governmental bodies.
Organic Vs. Natural
Natural doesn’t always mean Organic. “Natural” may just describe fabric made by substances found in nature, even if it is produced with the use of pesticides and inorganic processes.
At Aura Weavers Organics, we committed to an end-to-end organic process that is environment friendly & socially responsible –
- Cottonseeds that are GMO-free
- Crops that uses no synthetic fertilizers or harmful pesticides
- Production process that uses no toxins or harsh chemicals
- Dyes that are AZO-free
- Fair trade that supports fair wages and healthy work environment
Why choose ORGANIC muslin for babies?
Baby’s skin is way more porous and sensitive compared to adult skin, and not yet developed enough to avert the effects of chemicals and pesticides generally used in non-organic products. Hence, your baby is more prone to external infections. Removing as many chemicals as possible from the nursery where your child spends the most time can be critical to preventing long-term damage.
Our children deserve soft and clean fabric touching their sensitive skin. Free from harmful chemicals and toxins, Aura Weavers Organic muslin is eco-friendly, über-breathable and naturally soft, that will soothe your baby and provide for a “Healthy Beginning”.